Skip to main content

Not just things, never just things!

I open the cupboard and stare into its messy fullness, wondering where to start. I reluctantly take out a bunch of papers and begin rifling through them. A keychain falls out, begging to make the transition to the other side of possession, where it can rest peacefully among other trash. It is asking me to be trashed. I pick it up, my hand makes the short arc to the bin and then stops. Wasn't this the key ring I used to carry my first dorm room key? All of thirty two years ago? I pull my hand back and open my palm to stare at it and the images come rushing back.

"Maa, the milk is boiling over!" Have to stem the memories and pay attention to boring details such as scorched burners and spilt milk.

Ten minutes later I'm back and the keychain, fortunately, gets thrown where it belongs. But I find a picture frame with some stars pasted on it. No picture, but that's no matter, I know what used to go there. My daughter's kindergarten photograph, after she made the transition from wailing newbie to confident star pupil. Now how can I discard that? A few more minutes of staring into the frame does it. It goes into the "keep for now" pile and I go back to sorting the sundries on the shelf. Broken bracelets, odd single earrings, old diaries, a Beanie Baby of indeterminate colour, ... so many precious items that pull me into spaces of feeling and remembering.

Each time I plan to clean up and clear up the layers of living that we trip on all over the house, I run into this wall of memories, all tied up in these things, some broken, some bruised (the things, not the memories), some only vaguely recognizable, but all somehow important. Too important to be cleared away. Like the ticket stub to a Broadway performance of "The Phantom of the Opera" or a notebook with my father's handwriting, mathematical equations that I cannot understand but that carry the sense of his hand moving over the page, or the case of an old camera that holds the stories of weddings and family outings.

One of my friends suggested that I take pictures of the things and discard the material versions. Pack all those atoms into the digital space instead, to float ambiently on my electronic picture frame as I try to avoid distraction at work. That would allow me to boast of neatly stacked books on my shelf instead of a rumble of odds and ends of vague description. This would mean making space for the many new layers of living that are waiting in the boxed present to be unwrapped and put on shelves. It also means privileging the space of now over the remnants of the past, those little catalysts that speed up my backward journey to a different time.

An hour passes and I have made little progress. I look at the piles (very small) that have built up on the floor by the cupboard. The "trash without doubt" pile is negligible. The "keep for now" pile is larger, but the largest pile is "do not discard". I need help here. Someone who invests no meaning in these things--and who can see them as just things--needs to step in and help.

Comments

Ganeshan said…
I am and will continue to be in a similar situation, particularly since my wife, Usha, left us for a better world. Therefore I cannot help you! But if someone helps you solve this problem, fi let me know! Best wishes!

Popular posts from this blog

A house called Ayodhya

How do words get taken away from you? How do they mutate and reconfigure around entirely new meanings, only weakly related to those that they held when you owned them? And then, through repetition and constant association, they solidify into these new forms, their other histories hidden behind impenetrable layers, where they have not been erased altogether.   I live in a house whose name often elicits a curious look, raised eyebrow, a muffled cough, a judging eye, or even a vigorous nod of approval. But for even the least politically minded, the name is evocative of something. For some of us, it is the wave of negativity, divisiveness, and violence unleashed by the events of a December three decades ago. For others, it may represent the righteous assertion of identity.   But the name etched into the gate pillar, now fading and diminished when compared to the glitzy lettering on neighbouring walls, has nothing to do with the politics of place and claimed heritage. It is a simple, gentle

Origin Story

You can know someone all your life and only begin to discover who they are more fully after they are gone. The stories seem to flow more easily, less self-consciously, without the moderating physical presence, perhaps more detailed in the awareness that they cannot be challenged and the memory can retain its sanctity. Today is my parents’ anniversary, 62 years since their marriage that rainy day in Secunderabad when the monsoon used to arrive without fail on the 10th day of June. The family legend has it that it poured so heavily on the 9th (the evening of the nichyathartham or engagement ceremony) that water entered the storage room, soaking the provisions for the next day’s big meal, causing my maternal grandmother to faint. That turbulence however did not seem to affect the tenor of the marriage which, by all accounts and my own experience, was characterized by a calmness that suggested a harmony of purpose and personality.   Not that my parents are/were alike in all ways. T

taking measure of 21 years

How does one measure the usefulness of anything? Does it lie in its quantum of influence--spatially, numerically, intellectually, materially? Does it lie in its ability to survive over time? Or (as some in this age would have it) in the number of mentions it generates on social media? An idea that was born just over 21 years ago is now in the process of being put to rest. Not quite given up on as an idea, but in its material form, designated "unsustainable". Teacher Plus was mooted in the second half of 1988, and given shape to in the first half of 1989, in the offices of Orient Longman Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad. The ELT team in the publishing house, of whom Lakshmi Rameshwar Rao (Buchamma), Usha Aroor and Rema Gnanadickam were a part, originated the idea of a professional magazine for school teachers that would serve as a forum for the sharing of teaching ideas and experiences, and perhaps motivate teachers to play a catalyzing role in reforming classroom practice. I was recru