Skip to main content

Registration



So it begins. I walk my way to the unmarked bus stop on Melrose's Main Street and get on the bus that swings, so quietly, to the edge of the curb. I find an empty seat--spoiled for choice--and train my eyes on the moving peri-urban scenery, aware of the tiny cramp of anxiety lodged somewhere in my gut. All of this is so familiar, yet so strange, as if I am suspended in some space not home and not outside, neither ghare nor bhaire

The bus smooths its way to the Orange Line train stop, my first encounter with the T, and I feign confidence as I walk through the turnstile and slap my borrowed Charlie on the sensor pad. The train, like its predecessor,slides into the station and again, I find a seat opposite a woman who looks more like the academic I am than I do. She is buried in a freshly minted typescript--the paper I should have written--with pen appropriately poised. I find my way into the book I've been reading and dissolve into anonymity. At least until the transfer to the Red Line which will take me to my final destination. On the platform, I pause briefly to check the direction I need  to take, and an older woman asks me--me!--for directions. I laugh in relief, happy to share my ignorance with another person. We look for the signs and help each other through our slight confusion. I walk down dank steps to the platform where the Alewife train will arrive.

Four stops later I am at Kendall Square, my entry to MIT. It takes me two circumlocutions of the block and a phone call before I find Building E39, hidden behind other brownstones. The office I'm looking for is temporarily closed for a meeting so I head back downstairs to the street, with greater certainty this time. 

When you are willing to look, you find cultural bookmarks everywhere, minding whole pages of discourse that you can tap into, unpack, deconstruct with your sharp analytical tools so that you can return with insights that validate your journey. 

Or to add to a tired pile of verbiage that might gain the label of academic literature. 

A group of teenagers, clean-cut and in matching black tee-shirts carry their guitars and cymbals and sundry other instruments along the platform. Clutches of parents shepherd their new college-entering offspring along the street, stopping now and then to capture, on their cell phones, a memory of this first day on campus. Construction crew of various hues pause as nervous visitors skirt their ladders and cranes. 

I have an hour to go before I'm registered in the system. Nothing like a cup of coffee and a low-fat bran muffin spiced with free wifi to give one a sense of belonging.

It doesn't end there. One has to jump through many hoops, virtual and otherwise, to become part of any system. Fortunately for visitors, MIT has free wifi access across campus so one can be navigated to the points that hold up the required hoops. The very helpful lady at the International Scholars Office gives me a list of those hoops and I make my way to the first, smart phone loaded with google maps in hand. My subtle glances at the screen distinguish me from those who walk about insouciantly, having already mapped their way in and around. 

Next stop: a bank account and an ID, both of which insert me, indelibly, into MIT's archive.

But of course, I know that my very first visit to the web site, months ago, on tentative digital fingers,has already done that. My seeking ghost, when it is sought, already lurks within the cavernous circuitry of the knowledge maker-manager.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A house called Ayodhya

How do words get taken away from you? How do they mutate and reconfigure around entirely new meanings, only weakly related to those that they held when you owned them? And then, through repetition and constant association, they solidify into these new forms, their other histories hidden behind impenetrable layers, where they have not been erased altogether.   I live in a house whose name often elicits a curious look, raised eyebrow, a muffled cough, a judging eye, or even a vigorous nod of approval. But for even the least politically minded, the name is evocative of something. For some of us, it is the wave of negativity, divisiveness, and violence unleashed by the events of a December three decades ago. For others, it may represent the righteous assertion of identity.   But the name etched into the gate pillar, now fading and diminished when compared to the glitzy lettering on neighbouring walls, has nothing to do with the politics of place and claimed heritage. It is a simple, gentle

Origin Story

You can know someone all your life and only begin to discover who they are more fully after they are gone. The stories seem to flow more easily, less self-consciously, without the moderating physical presence, perhaps more detailed in the awareness that they cannot be challenged and the memory can retain its sanctity. Today is my parents’ anniversary, 62 years since their marriage that rainy day in Secunderabad when the monsoon used to arrive without fail on the 10th day of June. The family legend has it that it poured so heavily on the 9th (the evening of the nichyathartham or engagement ceremony) that water entered the storage room, soaking the provisions for the next day’s big meal, causing my maternal grandmother to faint. That turbulence however did not seem to affect the tenor of the marriage which, by all accounts and my own experience, was characterized by a calmness that suggested a harmony of purpose and personality.   Not that my parents are/were alike in all ways. T

taking measure of 21 years

How does one measure the usefulness of anything? Does it lie in its quantum of influence--spatially, numerically, intellectually, materially? Does it lie in its ability to survive over time? Or (as some in this age would have it) in the number of mentions it generates on social media? An idea that was born just over 21 years ago is now in the process of being put to rest. Not quite given up on as an idea, but in its material form, designated "unsustainable". Teacher Plus was mooted in the second half of 1988, and given shape to in the first half of 1989, in the offices of Orient Longman Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad. The ELT team in the publishing house, of whom Lakshmi Rameshwar Rao (Buchamma), Usha Aroor and Rema Gnanadickam were a part, originated the idea of a professional magazine for school teachers that would serve as a forum for the sharing of teaching ideas and experiences, and perhaps motivate teachers to play a catalyzing role in reforming classroom practice. I was recru